Job Title: Legal Secretary
Reports To: Human Resource Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Performs a broad range of professional legal secretarial duties, exercises independent judgment and discretion within established standard departmental guidelines and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares accurate and timely correspondence, pleadings and other legal documents requiring knowledge of legal and medical terminology and workers’ compensation process.*
- Transcribes legal documents and court papers on computer from dictation and notation with precise terminology and speed.*
- Performs clerical duties in a timely manner to include:
- Preparing outgoing mail/certified*
- Emailing and electronic document sharing*
- Filing as needed*
- Proofreading/editing documents*
- Facilitates the delivery of legal documents and packages by communicating with delivery service.*
- Maintains an updated and accurate diary and calendar as required.*
- Provides clerical assistance and instruction to co-workers as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty efficiently with accuracy. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HS Diploma or GED equivalent; Less than 1 year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior professional and/or administrative support experience required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents containing legal and/or medical terminology. Ability to create, proofread and edit legal correspondence demonstrating excellent grammar and punctuation skills. Ability to communicate effectively.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and using whole numbers and ability to compute percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have intermediate computer skills including: word processing, electronic communication and database management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Oral communication skills
- Written communication skills
- Typing 65 WMP
- Reading skills
- Word processing skills
- Proofreading Skills
- Legal Terminology
- Customer Service
- Time management
- Medical Terminology
- Computer literacy
- Detail oriented
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires the ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time and intermittently walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch and reach while performing job duties; lift and/or move light weight files (up to 30 lbs.). Must be able to maintain effective audio-visual judgment and awareness needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading and writing, and operating office equipment. Must be able to use a telephone to communicate verbally and a keyboard to communicate through written means, to review information and enter/retrieve data, to see and read characters on a computer screen.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No calls, please. This position will be open until filled.