Kelsey H. Barrett
Kelsey Barrett (formerly Fleharty) is a litigation attorney in the firm’s Oregon practice group and is based in the Portland office. Kelsey’s practice is focused on the defense of employers and insurers in Oregon workers’ compensation claims. Prior to joining the firm, Kelsey worked for another prominent workers’ compensation defense firm, representing largely self-insured clients.
While studying at the University of Oregon, Kelsey gained significant legal experience through a clerkship with the Washington County District Attorney’s Office. Kelsey also served as a fellow with the Oregon Child Advocacy Project and authored numerous publications related to the status of laws affecting juveniles in Oregon. As a third year law student, Kelsey worked with the Domestic Violence Clinic and represented clients throughout their protective order proceedings. In keeping with her commitment to public service, Kelsey continued a volunteer position as an advocate for child victims of sexual assault and domestic violence throughout undergraduate and law school.
I believe that open lines of communication are the cornerstone to effective representation. I strive to ensure that I am readily available and prepared to respond to client inquiries with innovative solutions. My approach focuses upon interpreting the nuances of each particular case to ensure that my review and recommendations are tailored to the individual fact patterns.
In my opinion, a strong defense is predicated upon a complete understanding of the case, as well as the unique needs and desires of the client. My role is to fully ascertain and interpret the relevant facts, and develop a proactive plan the minimizes exposure potentials and represents the best possible outcome for my client.
- Juris Doctor, University of Oregon, 2014
- Bachelor of Arts, English Literature (with honors), University of Portland, 2010
Memberships and Community
- Member, Oregon Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Women Lawyers
- Working Parents Committee
Recent speaking topics
- "Drafting Independent Medical Examination Cover Letters," client continuing education seminar, September 26, 2018
- "Back to Basics: Average Weekly Wage, Time Loss Processing and the 3-Day Waiting Period," client continuing education seminar, July 16, 2018 and August 27, 2018
- "Post-Closure Treatment Requests and Aggravation Claims: the Boomerang Effect," client continuing education seminar, May 7, 2018 and October 24, 2018
- "An Oregon Workers' Compensation Mock Hearing," Oregon Claims School presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC March 20, 2018
In her spare time, Kelsey enjoys attempting to cook overly complicated recipes in frequently disastrous attempts to imitate Food Network stars. She’s happiest exploring the hiking trails of the Pacific Northwest with her husband, young daughter and two energetic rescue dogs.