Nathan R. Goin
Nathan’s practice focuses on Oregon workers’ compensation defense in the firm’s Portland office. Before joining the firm Nathan practiced in the areas of business law, land use, landlord tenant law, estate planning, and civil litigation.
Nathan graduated with honors from Willamette University college of Law. While at Willamette Nathan was a member of Law Review and the Journal of International Law and Dispute Resolution. He also served as the President of the Christian Legal Society, tried misdemeanor cases as a student prosecutor with the Marion County District Attorney’s Office, participated in the family law clinic, and clerked for Tyler Smith & Associates, P.C. While clerking with Tyler Smith & Associates, P.C. he played a key role in some of the initial property analysis that led to a $6,000,000 victory for the Oregon School for the Blind via settlement with the Oregon Department of Education.
Prior to attending law school Nathan managed high exposure workers’ compensation claims for Wausau Insurance.
As an ex-adjuster I understand what it’s like to handle a claims desk and am personally familiar with the challenges many adjusters face. My primary goal with every case is to provide aggressive representation with a clear strategy for claim resolution. I do my best to explain and outline each client’s options from the outset of litigation to help create an immediate legal strategy that has been custom tailored to the client’s needs and specific case facts.
- Juris Doctor (cum laude), Willamette University College of Law, 2011
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, George Fox University, 2005
- Certificate of Conflict Resolution
Recent speaking topics
- "Game of Compensability: Comparing, contrasting compensability issues in WA and OR," Washington Self-Insurers Association Annual Seminar, May 11, 2017
- "Squirrel Poop and Other Non-Reimbursable Requests - WHAT? When and how to say no," Oregon Claims School Seminar presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, March 22, 2017, and at the Oregon Credit Crunch presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, June 26, 2017
- "Workers Compensation, Reinstatement and Employment Leave Laws," Oregon Claims School Seminar presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, March 30, 2016
- "Workers Compensation, Reinstatement and Employment Leave Laws," a presentation at the 2016 Winter Conference, Oregon Self-Insurers Association, January 26, 2016
- "Higher Conflict and Controversy: Medical and Recreational Marijuana in the Workplace," client continuing education seminar, May 7, 2015, June 26, 2015, July 9, 2015, August 18, 2015, August 21, 2015 and April 8, 2016
- "Evaluating a Claim for Settlement," Oregon Claims School Seminar presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, March 13, 2015
- "Avoiding Litigation," client continuing education seminar, February 24, 2015
- "Own Motion Overview," client continuing education seminar, October 3, 2014, October 22, 2014, November 2, 2016, April 18, 2017
- “Case Law Update: Schleiss and Brown,” client continuing education seminar, July 23, 2014
- “Reconsideration Proceedings: When, Why and How?” client continuing education seminar, June 20, 2014
- “Settlement Evaluations/Communication and Documentation,” client continuing education seminar, June 3, 2014
- “IME Cover Letters,” client continuing education seminar, April 4, 2014
When not working Nathan enjoys archery, adventure camping, automotive restoration, tinkering in the garage, traveling, and home brewing lambic beers.