Ms. Fruin focuses her practice on Washington workers’ compensation defense, and is a resident in the firm’s Portland office. She believes strongly in working toward the integrity of the workers’ compensation system. Ms. Fruin is passionate about representing clients in workers’ compensation matters, and believes that every case should be handled promptly, with proper care, enthusiasm, and attention to detail.
Shawna G. Fruin
My goal as an attorney is to offer knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and prompt legal services to my clients. I believe it is critical to be fully conversant in Industrial Insurance Appeal case law so that clients can appreciate the likely outcome if specific matters are litigated.
The laws of workers’ compensation are extensive and complicated, and providing excellent client service requires understanding the details of each case and the applicable law so that I can offer sound advice and a well-founded strategy. I understand the value of a properly functioning worker’s compensation system, and am privileged to play a role in providing employers with strong defense counsel to ensure the integrity of the system.
- Juris Doctor, University of Texas School of Law, 2011
- Bachelor of Arts, Whitman College, 2001
- "So where are we at with Washington's new IME rules?" April 28, 2021
- "How to address Washington workers' compensation claims from telecommuters," April 9, 2020
- "Coronavirus and Washington workers' compensation," March 19, 2020
- "Coronavirus and workers' compensation: first thoughts," March 3, 2020
- "Death of the Washington Second Injury Fund?," June 12, 2017
- "Washington Court of Appeals holds orders containing innocent errors to typical 60-day protest/appeal deadline,"August 11, 2015
- "Washington Supreme Court stands firm in high requirement for suing employers in tort," October 20, 2014
- "Crabb v. Department of Labor and Industries: The Washington Court of Appeals holds the 2011 COLA freeze does not apply to maximum time-loss claims," July 1, 2014
- "Board of Industrial Insurance Appeal v. South Kitsap School District, Zimmerman, & DLI: Board should not consider the “best interest” of represented workers when evaluating structured settlements," July 1, 2014
- "Boeing & Doss v. DLI," May 13, 2014
Recent speaking topics
- "New 2021 Washington IME rules," Washington Virtual CE presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, January 20, 2021
- "Washington Subrogation 101," client continuing education seminar, March 19, 2020
- "Washington claims processing 101," client continuing education seminar, March 3, 2020
- "Mediation and Settlements: Legal Perspectives from Both Sides" (co-presented by Attorney Jill A. Karmy), the Washington Claims School Seminar presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, September 19, 2019
- "Financial Risk Management for Self-Insureds," co-panelist, Washington Self-Insurers Association Spring Conference, March 23, 2018
"Claim Resolution Options: Strategies for employers," 2017 Washington Claims School presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, June 14, 2017
- "Washington Workers' Compensation 101," client continuing education seminar, November 11, 2016 and January 24, 2017.
- "Psychiatric IMEs: New DSM-5 Rules and Potential Assessment Tools Regarding Mental Health Examinations," client continuing education seminar, October 7, 2016; Washington Self-Insurers webinar, December 8, 2016; Washington Credit Crunch presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, September 14, 2016.
- "Employer responsibilities under the 2015 amendments to the Department’s penalty rule," 2016 Washington Claims School presented by Reinisch Wilson Weier PC, June 8, 2016
- "Avoiding Litigation," client continuing education seminar, February 24, 2015
- “Vocational Option II,” client continuing education seminar, June 25, 2014
- “Preparing an IME Cover Letter,” client continuing education seminar, April 4, 2014
- “2012 New Significant Decisions and Tentative Significant 2013 Decisions of the Board of Industrial Appeals,” client continuing education seminar, November 7, 2013 and March 28, 2014
Previous Memberships and Community
- Wilsonville Farmer’s Market Grant Coordinator
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
Outside of work, I enjoy time with my growing family, running, hiking, baking, and entertaining.